What are you most thankful for? Thanksgiving is about remembering all that we have and who we share our time making memories with. The amazing food is always an extra perk, but the deeper meaning behind it all is what truly counts. Being an animal lover/mother myself, I am able to be thankful on a daily basis. I’m thankful because having animals of my own has actually made me a better individual.
Here’s five reasons why:
1. Having an animal can actually reduce stress. It seems crazy right? Or maybe it doesn’t sound too crazy because you have felt this first hand. It’s probably due to the fact that the cuddle sesh you just had with your animal friend proves that chemistry actually is a thing. Your body releases oxytocin and serotonin, which can lead to a calming effect. Actually, just LOOKING at an animal starts to lower a person’s blood pressure.
2. Falling in line with reducing stress, having animals keeps us healthy. Not only can you thank your pet for helping you to reduce your blood pressure, but it is likely they are also helping you develop a more active life style. From daily walks around the block, playing tug-o-war, or even chasing your cat around the house because he just ate something he wasn’t supposed to. These are all activities you would doubtfully accomplish had you not had your furry friend. Dog owners tend to walk 79% farther on a daily basis verses those who do not own a dog.
3. Need help socializing? Sure, the internet has provided us with the ability to communicate with people all over the world at any given time. But, what’s better than meeting individuals that love their animals as much as you love yours? Dog owners typically are more likely to start conversation through walks, meeting at a dog park, or even in a pet store. Your funny video of Teddy doing his tricks or story of Sassy riding a lawn mower provides an icebreaker that can help you feel connected. I mean really....who doesn’t love watching animal videos?
4. Get yourself into a daily routine. When you have an animal you are responsible for their care. They aren’t concerned whether or not you have work that day, or if you are just not feeling up to it, they depend on you. Creating a habit and structured routine allows us the the ability to be more productive and find purpose in our lives. We, in turn, become happier people!
5. UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!!! Along with the puparazzi making you feel like you are a movie star every time you walk through the door, our pets provide companionship like no other. No matter what, you are never too grumpy or smelly to receive the over abundance of love that your pet pal has for you. They never judge and always forgive. Their snuggles are the absolute best and your secret is always safe with them.
In all honesty, these are just a few reasons to be thankful for your furry friend. There are many other health and personal benefits to owning a pet. Don’t forget to show them just how much they mean to you, and maybe save some extra turkey on Thanksgiving to share with the animal that brings so much joy into your life. After all, you are better because of them!